Italian Stuffing Casserole
1 loaf Italian bread, cut into ½ inch cubes (about 12 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bulb fennel, (top & core removed) chopped
2 teaspoons fennel seed
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (14 ½ fl oz) chicken broth
¼ cup water
1/2 teaspoon GravyMaster®
1) Preheat oven to 250°F. Place bread cubes on baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes until cubes are slightly dry. Transfer to a large bowl. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
2) In large skillet, over medium high heat, heat the oil and butter. Add the onion and fennel, stiring until the onion is translucent; about 5 minutes.
3) Stir in fennel seed and basil. Cook one minute; remove from heat. Add sun dried tomatoes, salt and pepper.
4) Add vegetables to the bread cubes; mix well. In a medium bowl, stir together the egg, broth, water and GravyMaster®. Add to the bread cubes and toss.
5) Spoon into greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Garnish, if desired, with fresh herbs.
Makes about 8 servings